Write about evil: how you understand it (or don’t), what you think it means, or a way it’s manifested, either in the world at large or in your life.
Upon first reading this, I thought there was a number of different avenues that I could go down in response to this, but then I thought, let’s define evil first…
1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
2. harmful; injurious: evil laws.
3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
6. that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils.
7. the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.
8. the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evil in his nature has destroyed the good.
9. harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil.
10. anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered by some to be an evil.
13.in an evil manner; badly; ill: It went evil with him.
14. the evil one, the devil; Satan.
1. sinful, iniquitous, depraved, vicious, corrupt, base, vile, nefarious. See bad1 .
2. pernicious, destructive.
6. wickedness, depravity, iniquity, unrighteousness, corruption, baseness.
9. disaster, calamity, woe, misery, suffering, sorrow.
How many of you reading that feel as though you know of somebody, or have encountered somebody, that fits one (or more) of the above definitions? You might not necessarily relate to them as evil, instead preferring words such a bitch, moll, cunt, prick etc, instead.
Or perhaps they are more of a frenemy?
Personally, I know of a couple of frenemies. These are the people who are nice as pie to your face, but as soon as you turn away, they would stab you in the back just as quickly. Nasty and malicious. The people who would go out of their way to divulge personal information about me, or even Hulk, in a negative light, in order to gain their trust / friendship.
Recruitment via character take-down.
Most of the time, I find it quite selfish and juvenile. Previously, it would get me quite upset, although I wouldn’t show it. I’d just whinge to Hulk about it. I would ask myself why people don’t like me? What have I done? What is it that has upset this person that much that they now feel the need to turn other people against me? Why do I feel as though I’m the only person who can see they are two-faced and manipulative? When I find myself asking those questions repeatedly, it’s a sign that I no longer need to associate with them. The less I have to do with them, the better.
But then there’s the people that they have already recruited? Great. MORE frenemies to deal with. Just what I need.
And before you start getting all judgey on me, and start suggesting that I bring it on myself, okay, yes, I can admit that at times, I’ve had my moments where I stoop down to their level and do the exact same thing, so I’ll admit that I can be just as bad. What do you exepct? I’m a scorpio, it’s in my nature. I’m the person that you don’t want to cross. The one you don’t want to piss off. The one who will hold a grudge for a long time. The one who may forgive, but will never forget if you wrong me. The one who WILL go out of their way to take you down by revealing who you really are.
HOWEVER, on the flip side of that, I will also be your best friend. Your confidant. The one who will always be there to listen and talk to and give advice. The one who would go and visit you and see if you’re okay, rather than just say something on Facebook. I’m the one that you trust with your secrets and shame.
So I guess, even I would have to admit, that I have a tendency to be a little evil. Granted, it’s been a very long time since I last did a take-down of my own because somebody pissed me off, but I know that I have the tendency to be extremely cold and ruthless.
…just ask my ex.
Perhaps it’s not my frenemies who I should consider evil. Perhaps it’s me instead.